Can I just say I have a green thumb! This year we planted a garden and everything is going crazy. My flowers aren't looking to shabby either. I love to spend time in the dirt. Our peas are on, So this last week we have ate peas for a treat, in salads, and my favorite, peas and potatoes.
I didn't realize how much fun it would be to have your own garden and especially to enjoy the vegetables. It has been some good family time out picking weeds and playing in the dirt.
A week ago I made peas and potatoes for my first time and they were good but they weren't quite like grandmas. So it never hurts to try another recipe, right? Well This recipe is a keeper, not to mention easy. I was so proud I even had to take my grandpa some to try. He seemed to enjoy them too.
I guess I can't take all the credit for my green thumb, my dad gives me little tips like:
How to tell when you need to water.
When to fertilize.
How far apart to plant things.
How to grow good flower pots.
So I have followed his direction and just between you and me, my flowers are out doing his this year!!! So I guess I better give him some coaching next year!! :)
If your interested in the recipe for Creamed Peas and Potatoes here it is.
Ingredients:
1 lb. small new potatoes
1 1/2 cups fresh shelled peas
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1cup milk
Directions:
Peel potatoes and cut larger potatoes in half. Skins can be left on if desired. Place in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil until tender. Do not over over cook. When the potatoes are done, drain the water off and set them aside.
Boil the peas and drain them when finished cooking. Set aside with the potatoes.
In a saucepan, add the butter until melted. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until mixed and then add in all the milk and stir into flour mixture until all ingredients are well blended.
Continue to stir and cook until the mixture has thickened and begins to bubble. Cook for 1 more minute.
Add the potatoes and peas to the cream sauce. Stir until well distributed and thoroughly heated.
Season to taste and serve while hot. Enjoy...



4 comments:
i am so printing a copy of this recipe. THANK YOU FOR SHARING IT. we ended up freezing a bunch... ahhh, yummy.
yes. yes. yes. your flower pots look fabulous. my flowers keep getting eating my the stupid earwigs!
(did i mention i HATE earwigs?)
I love peas fresh from the pod! But not cooked. Your peas look great and your flowers are beautiful. You do have a green thumb. I am jealous.
Oh, I love peas- but they are so much work for the amount you end up freezing! If I have to look at another pea pod this year...!!
Hey Heidi! It was so good seeing you over rodeo weekend! You have a cute little family! It's so good to see you so happy!
you flowers are gorgeous! I didn't even bother this year!
I love cream peas & potatoes! One of my most favorite summer dinners by far!
I would love to keep in touch! Just leave me your email address & I will invite you!
TTYS
Wendy
Post a Comment